We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Flooding update

Advice and information

Map of river monitoring stations

Use our interactive map for up-to-date flood-related information.

Please see information below for residents and businesses after the flooding:

The Royal Borough and its partner agencies continue to work to support residents who were affected by the flooding.

Insurance advice

If your home was flooded please contact your insurance company. There is lots of information in a new leaflet from the Association of British Insurers (also see pdf download attached below) or visit the ABI website for advice and guidance at https://www.abi.org.uk/.

Good advice for before, during and after a flood is available from the Environment Agency website.

Offers of help - linking with residents' needs

The Council has received more than 200 offers help from residents and businesses, all wanting to support flood-hit communities. Thank you for this amazing response.

We are now linking these generous offers with the people who need help - and we want to hear from affected residents about the kinds of things that will make it easier for you to recover from the flooding. Do you need cleaning products, a willing pair of hands to help with clearing up, DIY supplies, for example?

Let us have your needs and we will do our best to match these with the offers we have received from volunteers and businesses. Send your requests to debra.beasley@rbwm.gov.uk

Help after the flooding for residents

If you haven't done so already, contact your insurers for information about making a claim and disposing of any flood-damaged items.

Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Flood Relief Fund
The RBWM Flood Relief Fund is available to provide financial assistance (up to £500) to residents of the Royal Borough who suffer hardship and distress or are in a condition of need as a result of local flooding. Contributions can also be made from the fund towards some flood protection measures. Due to the limited funds available, it will not be possible for the Fund to cover the total cost of any losses incurred. The Council would also expect residents to seek redress through their insurance companies.

Please complete the on-line application form to make a claim for financial assistance towards the cost of damage or loss incurred.

Berkshire Flood Recovery Fund

Berkshire Community Foundation's Flood Recovery Fund is offering financial help for residents, businesses and community groups affected by the flooding.

Easy to access and apply for, the funding offers grants for:
• Local residents who are vulnerable, those who have losses not recoverable elsewhere, e.g. insurance, and nominations by parish councils of those in special need (grants of up to £1,000)
• Community groups working with people affected by the flooding or which have been directly affected themselves and have losses not covered by insurance (grants of between £1,000 and £10,000)
• Small and micro businesses severely affected (or in areas where help is needed to support economic recovery after the floods); complementary to government and council sources of funding and run in partnership with parish councils, grants of between £500 and £3,000 are available.

More information from Berkshire Community Foundation at http://www.berkshirecommunityfoundation.org.uk/, email BCFFloodFund@berkshirecf.org or call 0118 930 3021.

Repair and Renew Grant

This government grant is available from 1 April 2014 and aims to fund additional future flood prevention for homes and businesses which have been flooded since 1 December 2013.

Administered by the council, the fund is designed for repairs over and above those covered by insurance and will be subject to certain criteria.

Please complete the on-line application form to apply for funding.

Council Tax Exemption
Residents with homes affected by the recent floods can apply for an exemption from Council Tax. This means that for the time that they are living in temporary accommodation while their main home is flood damaged they will not be charged Council Tax.
The exemption applies to residents forced to move out of their properties because of flood damage. The exemption applies for every day that the property is empty and in need of substantial building or remedial works to make it habitable again. The exemption can last for up to 12 months.

For further details about the scheme email council.tax@RBWM.gov.uk quoting Council Tax - Flood Exemption in the subject box.

Local Welfare Provision - Crisis Support

Find out more at www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/lwp.htm

Citizens Advice Bureau

To access advice about dealing with the aftermath of flooding anywhere in the Borough, or to find out of you are eligible for a flood relief grant, contact Maidenhead CAB via their dedicated email address: floodadvice@maidenheadcab.org.uk. Experienced advisers can also provide advice on a range of related topics including dealing with insurance claims, housing and employment issues and the responsibilities of landlords. Alternatively to contact Maidenhead CAB by phone you can call 01628 621006

For more information visit http://www.maidenheadcab.org.uk/

Help after the flooding for businesses

Also see Berkshire Flood Recovery Fund (above)

Business rates relief

If your business has been adversely affected by flooding you could be eligible for three month's relief from Business Rates.

Just to drop an email to business.rates@rbwm.gov.uk with your address and the dates you have been affected by the flooding and you will be awarded the appropriate rate relief.

Business support

The government Business Support Helpline - on 0300 456 3565 - provides comprehensive advice and support to businesses affected by floods and offers a free one-hour call with a dedicated Business Support Adviser to help businesses get back on their feet.

Repair and Renew Grant

This government grant is available from 1 April 2014 and will aim to fund additional future flood prevention for homes and businesses which have been flooded since 1 December 2013.

Administered by the council, the fund is designed for repairs over and above those covered by insurance and will be subject to certain criteria.

Please complete the on-line application form to apply for funding.

Flood Recovery Funding for Highway Infrastructure Repairs (updated 2014-07-28)

Royal Borough has been awarded £2.1m by the government and this fund is to be utilised for the permanent repair/renewal of the highway infrastructure (including bridges) damaged by the severe weather. Grants will be made available to help residents living on private roads that were damaged during the floods to carry out urgent road repairs. The maximum grant award for a single scheme will be 50% of the total scheme cost, and the total funding available to all is capped at £100,000. Awards will be made subject to the support of the Ward Members.

For further details please contact projects@rbwm.gov.uk

Business Support Scheme

There is a new Business Support Scheme worth up to £10m to provide hardship funding for SME businesses in areas affected by the floods. Both businesses that have been flooded and businesses that are in affected areas and have suffered significant loss of trade can to apply for support. Eligible businesses will be able to claim for funding for things like immediate clean-up costs, materials, and exceptional costs to help them continue trading.

The Royal Borough is administering the scheme in our area and businesses wishing to apply should complete this form.

Time to Pay

Extra time is being allowed for businesses to file accounts without any penalties. If any affected company is unable to file accounts or other documents on time as a direct result of the floods, Companies House will agree an extension and not collect the penalties which apply for late filings.

The scheme covers all taxes owed to HMRC, including VAT, PAYE and corporation tax and is for any business affected by the flooding.

Apply by phoning 0300 200 3835 to discuss your issues with with an advisor. For further details contact the hotline set up by HMRC for those who have been affected by flooding and may have difficulties in meeting their tax liabilities. The helpline is: 0800 904 7900.

Farming Recovery Fund For help and advice email frf@defra.gsi.gov.uk telephone: 0300 060 2700 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/farming-recovery-fund-guidance-for-applicants

£750 million from the major banks for business and individual customers affected by the floods. Contact your bank for more details https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-help-communities-hit-by-flooding.

Flood advice for food businesses
Cafes, restaurants and any food business can get up-to-date advice on recovering from flooding in a new leaflet published by the Council's Environmental Health Commercial Services team. See pdf below.

Support for tourism industry

This is a £2m business support package from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport ro help firms that rely on tourism. It includes business advice and marketing activity, with experts on the ground to give up to three hours of practical advice through local workshops and drop-in clinics. VisitEngland has also launched an online toolkit offering advice for affected businesses at www.visitengland.org/flood-response/index.aspx.

Flood relief fund for sport

This a £5m National Lottery Fund scheme, run by Sport England, to help restore pitches and repair sports facilities damaged by the flooding. There are small grants of up to £2,000 for emergency repairs and larger grants for longer-term, bigger projects.

The scheme is open to sports clubs, local authorities and community organisations. More details are available at www.sportengland.org/floodfund.

Guidance notes

  • Flooding guidance for residents
  • Flood Advice for Food Businesses

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-03-30
Published: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 14:58:07
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 38315
Test Readability