We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Complaints Policy and Procedure

Our Complaints Policy

Here at the Royal Borough we believe that the needs of residents are our top priority and we are committed to providing you with quality services in the most effective and efficient way possible. However, we realise that, even in the best run organisations, there may be times when things go wrong and you may not be happy with the service you receive. If this happens or you feel that our services are generally not up to scratch then let us know - we will do all we can to investigate and solve your problem as quickly as possible.

To help you make your comment or complaint in the most effective way and to the right person we have set up a simple procedure.

It's important to remember, however, that not all complaints can be dealt with in this way. Some - such as those for Social Services or for schools - have their own statutory appeals procedures.

What First?

You can use the contact telephone numbers below to speak to an officer whose job is to receive your complaint, investigate it and ensure you get a swift response, or use the online complaints form.

When you make a complaint you will receive

  • an acknowledgment within 3 working days
  • a full response within 10 working days

We believe most complaints will be resolved at this stage. However, if you are still unhappy you can take your complaint to the service Director who will:

  • send you an acknowledgement within 3 working days
  • carry out a full investigation and
  • send you a comprehensive response within 15 days.

If you are still unhappy with the responses you have had at this stage, you may wish to refer your complaint to the Managing Director. You should do this in writing to the address given below. You will then be contacted by a member of his staff and the matter will be investigated thoroughly.

Hopefully your complaint will have been resolved to everyone's satisfaction long before this stage. However, if the Managing Director's findings still leave you feeling dissatisfied, there are further courses of action open to you:

  • Your local Councillor - will be happy to help you at any stage -simply to give advice, provide additional information or to handle the complaint on your behalf.
  • The Leader of the Council - is always willing to assist if you are unhappy with the way your complaint has been handled or its outcome.
  • The Local Ombudsman -acts as an independent 'referee' in disputes between individuals and their local councils. The Ombudsman is appointed by Government to investigate complaints of maladministration by local authorities.

Maladministration means that the Council has

  • done something the wrong way
  • done something it should not or
  • failed to do something it should

The Ombudsman does stress, however, that before making a complaint at this level, you should have given the Council a proper chance to deal with it. The Ombudsman will not investigate decisions that individuals simply do not like, but only the way they have been made.

Complaints contact numbers:

Social Care Services - 01628 796721
Fairer Charging for Home Care and other non-Residential Services - 01628 683231
Housing - 01628 683639
Education (general) - 01628 796721
Special Educational Needs - 01628 796779
School Admissions - 01628 683870

All Other Services - 01628 683800

Complaining On Line

You can submit a complaint to us via the online complaints form.

Contacting the Managing Director

You can write to the Managing Director at the Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 1RF.

Contacting your local Councillor

Details of your local Councillor can be found on the Council website or by calling Democratic Services on 01628 796319.

Contacting the Leader of the Council

Full details can be found on the Council website or by calling the Leaders Office on 01628 796322 or by emailing cllr.burbage@rbwm.gov.uk

Contacting the Local Government Ombudsman:

Copies of a booklet explaining how to contact the Ombudsman are available from reception at the Town Hall, Maidenhead, and York House, Windsor, or by calling: 01628 683800.

If you need to attend any meetings as part of making your complaint and you do not speak English as your main language you can ask the Council to provide an interpreter to help you. Further information is available from the Complaints Officers.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-09-02
Published: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 13:44:20
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
Test Readability