We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Repatriation of a Deceased Body


Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to England or Wales

If a death occurs abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a Death Certificate should be obtained. To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the Death Certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death by someone authorised to do so.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

  • An authenticated translation of a Death Certificate showing the cause of death and
  • A Certificate of No Liability to Register from the registrar in England and Wales. This certificate must be obtained from the registrar in whose area it is intended to bury or cremate the deceased.

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or a form E from the coroner will be required. If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will require the following documentation;

  • Application for cremation (form A)
  • All original documentation from the country where death occurred
  • Translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death.

Repatriation of a deceased body abroad

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death.

Cadaver certificates

This formality of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the undertaker, making the arrangements on behalf of the relatives. However, anyone can apply. The funeral directors will also help with anything requested by the Coroner and with requirements of the authorities in the overseas country to which the deceased is going. Some of these requirements may apply for burial in another part of the United Kingdom.

The certificate is issued by the Berkshire Protection Unit - Telephone 0118 9497816.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-08-11
Published: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:03:17
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 7277
Test Readability