Electoral Registration

If you want to go onto the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's electoral register during the period from 17 February 2014 and 1 September 2014 you can either download a rolling registration form (pdf 95kb) or contact the Elections Office on 01628 796306 for a form to be posted to you. Please note that after the 10 June 2014 the rolling registration process is changing and the form above WILL NOT BE acceptable. If you download this form and it arrives with the Electoral Registraton Officer after 10 June 2014 you will be sent details of the new registration process. Further information on this new registration process will be posted on this page as this date approaches.

If you live in the Windsor and Maidenhead Borough area and want to vote in the European Elections on 22 May 2014 your fully completed application to be registered must be with the Electoral Registration Officer by Tuesday 6th May 2014 at the very latest. Any applications received after this date will be processed but you will not be able to vote on 22 May 2014.

The Current Register of Electors

A full revision of the electoral register was published on 17 February 2014 and this will remain in force until 30 November 2014. We are now in the period where we update the register on a monthly basis until 1 September 2014 and therefore if you move house you should complete an application for registration form to update your entry on the Register of Electors.

Two Versions of the Register

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is obliged to publish two versions of the Electoral Register.

The full register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. Only certain people and organisations are allowed copies of the full register and they are only able to use it for specified purposes. These include:

  • electoral purposes;
  • crime prevention and detection; National Fraud Initiative
  • to enable credit reference agencies to fulfil their obligations under Money Laundering Regulations and to allow for the vetting of applicants for credit or applications which could result in granting credit.

The law specifies who may have a copy of the full register and for what purpose it can be used. It is a criminal offence for it to be passed on to anyone else or be used for any unauthorised purpose. The penalty is a fine of up to level 5 (currently £5000).

The edited register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from that version of the register. The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing. Under election law, this choice must be offered to you each year and the opt-out only applies for the next 12 months.

However, under section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998, you can give the Electoral Registration Officer notice that you do not want your personal information to be used for direct marketing either permanently or until further notice. To do this you should complete the Electors Section 11 opt out form (pdf 56kb) if you are already on the register of electors or tick the relevant box on the front of the rolling registration form (pdf 95kb) if you are applying to be added to the register of electors. This request will come into effect from the next revision of the Edited Register following receipt of the request.

Registering to vote if you are a member of a European Union country other than the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Malta or Cyprus? Further information on this can be found on the Aboutmyvote website. All currently registerd members of European Union Member states have been sent out the appropriate form which should be completed and returned to the Electoral Services office by 6 May 2014, if they want to vote in the UK for the election on 22 May 2014.


How to Register - Students may be able to register at home and their term-time address. So wherever you are on election day you can have your say. All you need to do is fill in the online registration form, print it off and return it to the Electoral Registration Officer at your term-time local council.

Voting at Elections - You can vote in the local government elections at both your home and your term-time address as long as they are not in the same local government area. However you can't vote twice in UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary Elections.

  • Electors Section 11 Opt Out Form

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2014-04-15
Published: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:49:09
Author: Wendy allum
Editor: Andrew.Scott
RDCMS ID: 8041
Test Readability