We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Apply for Benefits


If you are on a low income and paying either rent and/or council tax, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate.

How Much Benefit Will I Get?

If you get income-based jobseeker's allowance or income support, you may get your full eligible rent paid.

If you do not get income-based jobseeker's allowance, income related employment and support allowance, guaranteed pension credit or income support, you may get your full eligible rent paid.

If you do not get these benefits the amount of housing benefit and council tax support you get depends on:

  • the amount of eligible rent you pay
  • your liability to council tax
  • how many people live with you
  • your personal circumstances
  • how much money you have coming in
  • how much you have in savings

Help with Applying

Applying for Council Tax Support only

You may have been advised to complete and submit a shortened form for Council Tax Support if you fulfil one of the following criteria:

You are already in receipt of Housing Benefit and have had a change in circumstances which means you may now qualify for Council Tax Support as well


You have recently applied for Housing Benefit via the Department of Works and Pensions or Pension Service and have been advised you need to claim Council Tax Support from your local Council.

If either of the above circumstances apply to you, you don't need to submit a full application form online. Instead you can complete a shortened Council Tax Support form either by asking us to send you one or by downloading the form below.

You should complete and return this to us as soon as possible, any delay may mean you have to submit a full application and/or you could lose out on getting a reduction on your Council Tax.

Please be aware that if you do not already have a Housing Benefit claim or you have not within the last month submitted a claim via the DWP or Pension Service, you will need to complete the full application form.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-04-24
Published: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 15:25:55
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 5868
Test Readability