We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Building Control: Frequently Asked Questions

No. RBWM Building Control Consultancy are not responsible for establishing boundaries between properties.

If your neighbour builds on or over your boundary, we suggest you discuss the matter with them. If you are not able to resolve the situation, we suggest you take legal advice. Particular attention should be paid to the Party Wall etc Act 1996.

  1. What are the Building Regulations?
  2. Is Planning Approval the same as Building Control Approval?
  3. What work is subject to Building Regulations?
  4. Why should I use Building Control?
  5. Are there penalties for contravening Building Regulations?
  6. How long does the Council have to take formal enforcement action for a contravention of the Building Regulations?
  7. What will the charges be?
  8. When can I start the work?
  9. Does the approval of plans permit me to build on or over the boundary onto my neighbour's property?
  10. Can you recommend a builder or tradesman?
  11. Is there any documentation I should keep?
  12. Who do I inform of a building I suspect to be unsafe?
  13. If I want to install or replace electric wiring and equipment, will the Building Regulations apply?
  14. If I have any Building Control problems who do I turn to?

Contact Information:

By telephone: 01628 796870

24 hour inspection hotline: 01628 796885

By Fax: 01628 796886

By email: building.control@rbwm.gov.uk

By post: Contact us

Web page: Building Control Home page

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2007-11-08
Published: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:40:07
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: _ Editor.PE
RDCMS ID: 15987